Founded in 2008, Kotchen & Low LLP is a Washington, D.C.-based litigation boutique that has served as lead counsel in some of the largest and most complex lawsuits across the country involving up to billions of dollars in damages, and have recovered over $100 million on behalf of their clients.
Firm Origins. The firm’s partners met at a top-tier law firm in Washington, D.C., where they worked closely together on complex commercial litigation matters. They were impressed with the quality of each other’s work, and admired each other’s enthusiasm for high-stakes litigation. They reunited to form Kotchen & Low LLP with the goal of providing clients with the best legal representation in the market.
Firm Offerings. Kotchen & Low LLP is a law firm dedicated to providing the highest caliber legal representation with greater efficiency than other law firms. We offer the following:
- Focus on results. Our attorneys have a track record of success in the areas of defense and plaintiffs’ litigation, representing clients before government agencies, and client counseling. We have taken leadership roles in:
- Defense litigation (both class action and non-class cases) that involved claims up to $1 billion, resulting in favorable settlements or trial victory;
- Plaintiffs litigation (both class action and non-class cases) that involved settlements up to $220 million;
- Successfully developing and prosecuting, as well as defending, novel antitrust theories, including conspiracy, monopolization, attempted monopolization, tying, and monopsony;
- Representing clients before government agencies, including the Federal Trade Commission, Department of Justice, state attorneys general, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and Department of Transportation; and
- Counseling on a number of issues, including antitrust, consumer protection, fraud, Sarbanes-Oxley, proposed and enacted legislation, and alternative dispute resolution, which has enabled clients to pursue business goals while avoiding undue legal risk.
- Efficient and effective representation. Beyond simply focusing on results, we strive to achieve complete client satisfaction through our commitment to excellence in all areas of legal representation, including:
- Efficiency: We are an organization dedicated to leanly staffing matters and focusing efforts and resources on core issues that advance the causes on which we work. Our focus and lean staffing, coupled with our results-oriented approach, translates into efficient, high-quality representation.
- Effectiveness: Larger firms often delegate heavily to contract attorneys or junior associates who are prone to overlooking key documents or details, and are substantially less efficient because of their inexperience. By contrast, we aim to keep the lead trial attorney involved in all aspects of the litigation, including legal research and fact discovery. Not only is this approach more cost-effective in the long run, but it helps ensure that the lead attorney has total command of the relevant law and facts.
- Organization: Each matter on which we work is meticulously organized both within our offices and in a secured on-line extranet site that enables clients to easily access filings, communications, transcripts, and other documents.
- Responsiveness: Clients receive consistent, timely communication and are always kept current on developments both large and small in the matters on which we work.
- Client Partnerships: We understand that representatives from our corporate clients have full-time jobs, and the issues for which we are retained often involve incremental responsibilities for these representatives. We minimize the time corporate representatives need to spend on matters through our fundamental understanding of each client’s business and the markets in which it competes; through efficient and effective communication; and through our focus on core issues that advance the causes on which we work.
- Business acumen. On the basis of Mr. Kotchen’s cross-functional experiences, the firm brings a unique capability to the market: business acumen. Corporate clients can and should expect the firm to have creative perspectives on issues grounded in solid business insights.